Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Emp Status: Regular / Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt/Annual
Clearance: National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI)
IT Coalition is seeking an experienced Senior Security Engineer with demonstrated experience in planning, implementing and supporting the security goals of the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE). A qualified candidate must possess excellent project management skills and the ability to handle day-to-day management of security for a research oriented environment. A successful candidate must be innovative, self-motivated, passionate about solving problems, and have a demonstrated history of on-time product delivery.
Established in 2012 through a partnership between the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the State of Maryland and Montgomery County, the (NCCoE) is dedicated to furthering innovation through the rapid identification, integration and adoption of practical Cybersecurity solutions. The NCCoE is part of the NIST Information Technology Laboratory and operates in close collaboration with the Computer Security Division.
IT Coalition, Inc. is an information technology and consulting company focused on servicing the needs of the Federal Government. IT Coalition’s mission is to apply earned expertise in information technology and information assurance/security to assist this client in achieving its mission. IT Coalition is located in Alexandria, VA and offers outstanding compensation and benefits plan and a challenging and rewarding professional work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement and evaluate security controls in support of the NIST National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE) cyber security innovations lab.
- Provide security guidance and drive infrastructure decisions in collaboration with other technical and management stakeholders, ensuring Security principles are being upheld and no violations of Security Policy is taking place.
- Engage in ongoing research of emerging trends and new technologies which may benefit the project goal of strategically implementing technology to enhance or solve project problems.
- Work closely with senior management, systems operations staff, software development staff, support staff, 3rd parties and end-users to ensure rapid resolution of Security issues.
- Work face-to-face with multiple stakeholders interviewing, planning, or participating in a team effort to bring multiple complex projects to fruition in a highly motivated, fast paced environment.
- Defining and/or refining SSP / SAR / lab policies in order to meet technical, operational, security and business needs.
- Support others in analyzing and resolving difficult technical problems (act as 3rd/4thlevel support as appropriate).
- Conduct in-depth technical reviews of new and existing IT systems in order to identify the appropriate mitigation strategies required to bring these systems into compliance with established policy and industry guidelines.
- Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering / Computer Science major with 3-5 years’ experience.
- 3+ years of experience system architecture design with experience providing security integration.
- 1+ years of experience working with virtualization technologies.
- 1+ year of working with cloud services and/or collaboration with cloud service providers.
- One or more of the following certification: GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, CCNA Security, CISA, CISM, CCSP, MCSA/MCSE and/or CISSP.
- In-depth understanding of authentication and authorization using smart cards.
- In-depth understanding of standard internet protocols (i.e., FTP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, SNMP, and SMTP).
- Hands on experience with IT security equipment (firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems, Vulnerability Scanners, Virtual Private Networking, virus protection technologies, and Log Management).
- Ability to perform risk assessments and build risk mitigation plans.
- Strong organization, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to function independently or as a part of a large, integrated cross-functional team.
- Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn new things
- Experience working in a dynamic lab environment preferred
- Experience with NIST contracts preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Candidate must be able to function in general office environment.
Information Technology Coalition, Inc. reserves the right to edit, revise or change this job description. Nothing in the contents of this job description implies an employment contract with the incumbent.